Who are Heart Heroes?
A Heart Hero is a child with a Congenital Heart Defect (CHD). The CHD can be detected at birth, later in life or even prior to birth. Heart Heroes may need one surgery to correct the defect, or may need routine complex medical procedures throughout their life in order to maintain their heart health.
Heart Heroes have exceptional strength because of their CHD. They show great courage which has carried them through life-saving operations, countless doctors’ appointments, pokes, prods and hospital stays. Thus, Heart Heroes have been empowered with a superhero cape to help sustain their incredible bravery.
What is Heart Heroes, Inc.?
- Heart Heroes, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) organization headquartered in Omaha, Nebraska.
- Our mission is to provide support to children and families affected by Congenital Heart Defects (CHD) through the distribution of superhero capes, programs to offer hope and funding for CHD research.
- To date, Heart Heroes, Inc. has provided thousands of capes to children with CHD worldwide.
- On average, we receive about 100 capes requests a week via the Request a Cape link on our website.
- We have shipped capes to CHD children in all 50 states in the United States plus over 40 countries outside the U.S.
- We have a partnership with the Corazón de Niñ@ to provide superhero capes to children with CHD in Mexico.
- Heart Heroes provides capes to the children of the Novick Cardiac Alliance.
In 2009, moms of children battling CHD wanted to empower their children throughout their CHD journey. They learned by wrapping their child in the simple idea of a superhero cape, their children felt invincible while visiting their cardiologists. In many cases, the children found comfort in their cape amidst a crowd of medical professionals, especially if they couldn’t have the comfort of their parents’ arms during some procedures.
They found the “superpower” their children gained through the cape is something that should be shared with all CHD children. Heart Heroes was created with the hope that all children will feel these superpowers – and that their parents will be comforted knowing that the arms that always protect them can momentarily be substituted with the superpowers of the Heart Hero cape.
Kitty Burton email@example.com
Executive Director, Co-Founder
Sondra Dubas firstname.lastname@example.org
Margaret Keller email@example.com
National Program Director, Superhero Heart Run
Kristi Unick firstname.lastname@example.org
Marketing & Development Director